Somewhere you may have heard, or read about “Dental Veneers, ” but you may be unaware of what the treatment actually entails. Let’s see in more detail, what Dental veneers are about.
Dental veneers are thin shells of porcelain or composite resin, which is custom made to fit over teeth. They are typically done on the front teeth to mask imperfections that may be caused by cavities or broken teeth or may be done to improve the look of the healthy teeth. The treatment is applied to the entire front surface of the tooth. Veneers can be used on teeth that are chipped, cracked, broken or discolored, or that have spaces between them. Dental veneers can improve a smile but they are not an option for everyone. Therefore, a consultation should be done with a dentist to determine if you are eligible for this treatment.
What are the different types of Veneers?
1) Traditional dental veneers-
It involves grinding down the tooth structure to make room for the veneer material. It usually involves the removal of the enamel layer and some of the dentin layer.
2) No-prep or minimal prep veneers-
It involves minimal tooth preparations or minimal alterations. No-preps veneers simply affect enamel.
Advantages of Porcelain Veneers:
1) For teeth that are chipped, discolored or misshapen, veneers can create a durable and pleasing smile.
2) Veneers are bonded and not cemented, to the enamel of the tooth to become one solid body, which makes it hard to break or fall off.
3) Porcelain is stain resistant.
Things to be considered for Porcelain Veneers:
As with any dental treatment, there are certain things to be considered for veneers along with its advantages, such as:
1) Keep in mind, porcelain dental veneers are artificial teeth, although they look realistic.
2) The treatment is not reversible because the tooth enamel has to be removed.
3) Once placed, the color of your veneers cannot be changed.
4) Veneers may need to be replaced
Who can get Veneers?
To obtain this treatment, one needs to be determined as a suitable candidate. You can benefit from veneers when teeth are crooked, cracked, chipped, unevenly spaced or worn down. You can consult our general dentists at Expressions Dental™ Clinic in Calgary. Book an appointment at +1 (403) 252 7733 to see if you are eligible for the treatment or not.
We hope this blog has helped you learn more about dental veneer treatment!.